letterboxd profile

15.2.16

best of '15

Another year, another holler.

This year was a fun year as I went to the opening night of TIFF and saw more Atlantic Film Festival flicks than previous years. I think it was a good year for movies, as there were more original movies that were very good.

Here are the introductory stats for this year's list:

  • 52 movies seen (that were released in 2015)
    • (43 in '14, 60 in '13, 58 in '12, 44 in '11, 57 in '10, 43 in '09, 40 in '08, 32 in '07, 55 in '06 and 53 in '05)
  • 10 of these were ranked 5/5
  • Notable omissions (didn't see for whatever reason)
    • Joy
    • Beasts of No Nation
    • Amy
    • The Revenant
    • Bridge of Spies
    • Son of Saul
    • The End of the Tour
I will start with my honourable mentions:

  • Steve Jobs
    • I liked this movie and style a lot as I usually do with Danny Boyle, but the movie just left me wanting a little more.
  • Carol
    • This was well-acted and very beautiful, but I found it a little boring and predictable. It's a great movie and I respect that, but I wasn't blown away.
  • Inside Out
    • This was probably the best kids movie I've seen in a long time. It made me feel every emotion, which is very fitting. This was the hardest movie to leave out of the Top 10.
  • Star Wars: The Force Awakens
    • The joy this movie gave me is indescribable. 
  • Other great flicks:
    • Creed
    • Sicario
    • Straight Outta Compton
    • Dope
Onto the Top 10 - I will encourage you to use the link here (and the image below) as these will lead to descriptions and trailers of each movie on the list.

oh yeah, top 10
all the hits
I considered not ranking the top 10 this year, but I had to because Spotlight was such a clear number 1 to me.

Biggest Surprise: 4 way tie - Spring, Tangerine, Me and Earl and the Dying Girl and It Follows.

For old time's sake, here's the typed list:

10. It Follows
9. What We Do in the Shadows
8. Me and Earl and the Dying Girl
7. Ex Machina
6. The Big Short
5. Tangerine
4. Spring
3. Room
2. Mad Max
1. Spotlight

No comments: